Many people who don’t consider themselves as Green choose to consume only Organic and Natural foods for the health benefits. What ever your reasons are, it is a win-win for your health and the environment. Eating Organically, naturally, or locally grown foods are great but it is not an all or nothing scenario. The following is information to help you decide what is right for you and your family.
Reasons to consider buying Organic and Natural foods and what to avoid in general:
- http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/innovative-research/food-packaging-study/wallet-card.html– Print a wallet card reminder of the 10 canned foods to avoid relating to BPA (Bisphenol A).
- http://willtaft.com/268/food-safety/chemicals-in-food-are-shown-to-affect-children -This discusses preservatives, food coloring, and high fructose corn syrup vs sugar related to hyperactivity in children. Check out the comments too, this is an interesting read and something to take into consideration when feeding our kids and ourselves.
- http://willtaft.com/69/food-safety/the-dirty-dozen-of-food The dirty dozen. A list of fruits and vegetables that you should buy Organic only. This will also give the ratings 1-100 on the possible chemical residue. This is a must have list if you only pick and choose a few organic items in your diet.
- http://www.johnrobbins.info/blog/grass-fed-beef/ Grass fed beef vs grain fed beef. Worth reading, It will make you think twice about going for the beef filled with antibiotics and E Coli?
- http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx The chicken and egg page. This talks about the nutrients in pasture raised chicken eggs and caged chicken eggs-the eggs we typically find in the supermarket. Their studies report pasture eggs having more nutrients and less cholesterol. Read more details in the article.
- http://localfoods.about.com/od/finduselocalfoods/tp/5-Reasons-to-Eat-Local-Foods.htm -8 reasons to buy local foods. This article has me craving a really good in season ear of corn! Yum!
- http://www.ehow.com/about_6583228_organic-non-organic-dairy-farming.html Organic vs non-organic dairy-farming.
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article970193.ece Is organic milk a healthier option than regular milk?
- Conventional vs. Organic Free range Meat, poultry, dairy, egg